Legal Services Support for MASA members
By Roger Kurtz
To support MASA members by providing legal assistance in employment related legal matters, ranging from contract inquiries to job-related legal actions and proceedings. To support MASA members by providing timely legal advice and information to the membership.
Model Contract for Superintendents
MASA members may utilize MASA's model contract in discussions and negotiations with school districts. For a copy of the model contract, contact the MASA office (573-638-4825).
Legal Service Provider List
Upon request, members can receive a list of legal service providers and their areas of expertise. This list is a compilation of information from various sources and should not be construed as an endorsement of any listed providers. Contact the MASA office for a copy of this document.
Legal Financial Support Program
MASA will provide $700 to reimburse members for legal expenses incurred in defending employment-related legal proceedings, in accordance with the criteria stated (see "Financial Support Policy Criteria"). Additional financial support is available to individuals who are members of the American Association of School Administrators (AASA).
How to Request Financial Assistance
- Notify the MASA office by telephone or in writing that you need legal assistance, including a brief description of the problem.
- Depending on the particular facts, MASA may request additional information. In such cases, please provide the information in a timely fashion.
- Send receipts to the MASA office for legal expenses incurred, up to $700.
The following areas are excluded from the Financial Support Program:
- Bargaining unit negotiations
- Management decisions whose defense is the responsibility of the school district or its insurer
- Other matters as described in the criteria stated below or as otherwise determined by the MASA Executive Director
Financial Support Policy Criteria
- The Missouri Association of School Administrators provides $700 for legal expenses incurred by the member in defending challenges to his/her contract.
- The $700 will be paid to the member upon submission of a receipt to the MASA Executive Director verifying that the member has incurred at least $700 in legal expenses related to defense of the member's employment contract.
- If the member is awarded his/her legal expenses as part of any settlement, he/she shall refund the $700 to MASA.
- The legal proceedings for which assistance is requested must involve issues that are of general concern to the education profession.
- If a member has access to other legal assistance, that assistance will be considered primary and MASA will not contribute assistance until that source is exhausted.
- An additional factor to be considered is whether the claim is duplicative, repetitive and/or previously responded to in any school district.
- If a request for assistance places MASA in a position in which the interests of members are in conflict, MASA reserves the right to determine whether or not to provide support.
- The member will be eligible to receive assistance only once for each legal dispute. Legal proceedings that extend beyond the calendar year are considered part of the original proceedings and are not eligible for additional assistance.