Find Previous MASA Awards Recipients Here!
MASA Awards Presented Annually At The Spring Conference
The Pearce Award is presented each year to an outstanding Missouri Superintendent of Schools. The recipient receives a $500 cash award and a $500 scholarship to a student in the recipients' school district. Each MASA Region selects a nominee for the award. The recipient must be a practicing superintendent of a public school in Missouri and meet additional criteria. (Pearce Award Criteria). To make a recommendation for this award, contact your regional Awards Committee Representative.
Outstanding Emeritus Awards
MASA recognizes a retired administrator from each MASA region during the Awards Program. Individuals chosen for this award are selected based upon their length of service, their participation in MASA while an active member and continued interest in public education since retiring. (Outstanding Emeritus Criteria) To make a recommendation for this award, contact your regional Awards Committee Representative.
Honorary Life Member
Individuals who are a member of MASA at the time of their retirement are presented with an Honorary Life Membership in MASA. (Honorary Life Member form)
Twenty-five Year Service Awards
Annually, MASA recognizes those superintendents in Missouri who have achieved 25 years of service in administration in the public schools. This service may include the principalship and administrative service in other states. Award winners must currently be a member of MASA. (Twenty-Five Year Service Award)
Emerging Superintendent Award
Each year, MASA presents an award to an outstanding Emerging Missouri Superintendent of Schools from each MASA region. The award is in recognition of outstanding performance in the demonstration of those skills that reflect the best in educational leadership. Nominees must be a practicing superintendent in their second or third year of employment as a superintendent; have never served as a superintendent of schools in another state; made a measurable contribution to the school district they serve as a Superintendent of Schools as verified by one or more practicing Superintendents from their MASA region; and be a member of MASA at the time of nomination. To make a recommendation for this award, contact your regional Awards Committee Representative.
Friends of Education Award
This award will annually recognize eight non-educators, one from each MASA Region for their contribution to education locally or statewide. Each of the MASA regions shall select a recipient of this award annually. The recipient must currently be a non-educator although they could have been an educator in the past. To make a recommendation for this award, contact your regional Awards Committee Representative.
Annually, MASA recognizes former members who have passed away during the preceding year. We need your help in being aware of all those needing to be memorialized. Please take a moment and complete the form below if you know someone that we should include in our memorial list. (Memorial Recognition form)
If you have any questions about the awards, please contact your regional Awards Committee Representative or the MASA Office.
MASA Award Presented in the Fall of Each School Year:
Superintendent of the Year
Information and Application
Nomination forms and the application process for the 2024 Superintendent of the Year Program is open.
This Superintendent of the Year program is open to all U.S. public school superintendents who plan to continue in the profession.
The National Superintendent of the Year Program is truly representative of education's outstanding leaders from all parts of the country and abroad. Past recipients have come from diverse backgrounds - men and women representing small- to large-sized districts in rural, suburban and urban communities.
- Anyone can nominate a superintendent. However, the superintendent or their designee must complete the entire application and finalize it before the state deadline of October 2, 2023, to be considered. The nomination form is not an application and cannot be considered. Please notify the person that you nominate so they can complete the application process.
- Applications for the 2024 Missouri SOY must be completed on the AASA Website by Monday, October 2, 2023 to meet the state deadline for consideration.
- Applications that were submitted prior to July 1, 2023, have been archived by AASA because they changed application platforms. Those applications are no longer accessible.
- The MASA Awards Committee will review all applications that are finalized by the state deadline and select Missouri's winner.
- The Missouri winner will be announced at the MSBA/MASA fall conference.
- The Missouri SOY winner's application will be forwarded to AASA to be considered for the National Superintendent of the Year.
- The Missouri Superintendent of the Year will be recognized during the AASA National Conference on Education.
Click on the link below to submit a nomination or to complete an online application form:
Superintendent of the Year Application and Nomination Forms Found Here!